August 30, 2011

LUCKIEST

Scout started kindergarten last week. She was ready. I think I was too. She is fiercely independent and gutsy. What I didn't expect was to be so damn tired. After all, it wasn't me heading through the brand new walls of a big school. She is so graceful and brave. After three days, she has a boyfriend, whose name she doesn't remember. She has a favorite part of her day, and loves her teacher. She comes home with zest and fervor, stories and quips.  She is so amazing.


Sawyer is boding well with all the ladies in his preschool. He is one of three boys and has seven girls in his class. I believe he has more than one girlfriend. If I ask him who he played with that day, his dimples light up and he shyly says "Sarah!" Each day, a different name.  He is thriving at his school, and now, likes to race from the car to the door every morning.  He thinks it is hilarious, actually. Saying goodbye is hard. I have had a really sweet spot for my baby this summer. Missing out on his milestones. Some days, I keep him home, because I cannot stand not being near him.


I feel so lucky to be their Mom. I can't imagine anything more beautiful and amazing. They are good kids. They are kind (most of the time) Sawyer bit me last week and left indefinite teeth marks.  They are funny, wild, smart and brave.  It was just yesterday, after Sawyer and I kissed and hugged Scout goodbye in front of her classroom, that Sawyer took to the big kids slide and caught about three feet of air. He landed on his feet and just looked up, smiled, knowing he had caught serious air.



One of my favorite parts of the day now, is actually, (well, not waking up) but once I am up and done pushing the snooze button, I get to go in and wake my kids up... and cuddle them into their day.  I am oddly taken by this, as it has been, well, never, in my life that I enjoy waking up, or the mornings for that matter.   Something is so sweet and soft about seeing them before they rise, stretch like little cubs, and rub their eyes (probably in disbelief that Mommy is actually waking them up). It is a special time.

So here we go... into a school year. The air getting crisper. The days shorter. The schedule comes back. I look forward to their stories continuing to unfold.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the next phase of your life, having kids in the education system. From Kindergarten to elementary. Before you know it they're in middle school then high school. The phrase "Mommy what are you making me for lunch today?" will change to "Can I have $20 to go buy something at the store?" We want to hold them, keep them, nurse them. As parents, all we're really doing is prolonging the inevitable, they will grow up, they will leave one day. All we can hope for is that all of our nurturing, all of our stern talks, all the late nights waiting for them to get home, yes even those, that all of those moments will pay off in the end. That we raise good kids who will be responsible members of society. And of course, that they will come visit us when we're crippled and in a nursing home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you aren't a morning person, yet you have found a joy in the mornings with the kiddos. Every one of us has a different favorite part of school for us and our little ones. Enjoy and keep writing about your journey, be sure to leave a little Catholic/Jewish Guilt blurb so they will HAVE to visit you in the nursing home (as if our perfect little cubs wouldn't anyway.)

    ReplyDelete