October 9, 2011

RIGHT NOW

It starts now. Scout has been in Kindergarten for about seven weeks. Adjusted beautifully, thriving and growing like crazy. I cannot keep her fed.

I got a call the other day from her teacher, during the day. My heart raced... "She's okay, don't worry!" I let out a sigh of relief.  "Scout was on the playground when a first grader was chasing her. The boy said to Scout "I am going to kill you and your friends!"  Say what?  Her teacher continued, even thought I was saying, repeatedly, "What? How? Are you kidding me?"  "Don't worry, she said, Scout did an amazing job. She reported him to myself and the class aid right away. She was able to speak with Mike, the Principle, and was congratulated for doing a great job for standing up for herself."

Bullying, starts now.  I thought I would have years to prepare for this.  Shaking my head, I replied "what is happening with the boy? Who is this kid anyway?"  They are by law, not allowed to disclose or identify the child who created conflict.  Lame. In my day, if a kid did something wrong, parents showed up on their doorstep and righted the situation.  "I will tell you, that the child has been suspended." After Scout's teacher said this I felt somewhat better, that someone actually took this seriously, seeing as that I couldn't address it, with the offender.  I asked, "does this child have any other offenses?" Well, actually, she replied, he does."  I am shocked.  "So you have all red flagged him, then, right?"  She offered support, "yes, he actually has been red flagged. I just want to let you know, that Scout really did the right thing, and I wouldn't make too much of a big deal out of it when she gets home. Wait for her to tell you, and if she doesn't, bring it up, in a way that expresses how proud you are of her actions."  I thought this was great advice.

Scout was proud of herself for handling the bully and doing what we have worked on with her over the last year, which is teaching her to speak up for herself.  She did.

I am restless with this issue and experience. I think of her getting older and dealing with bullying. I knew it was a big problem, and kids are often awful to one another, I guess I just didn't see this coming at age 5.

To all the parents out there: It starts NOW. There is no timeframe for bullying. Bullying doesn't have a color, class or creed. There are varying degrees of bullying, and they should all be taken seriously.

I know the little boys name now. And yes, I will be watching him, very closely.  I will also be visiting with the teachers and Principle to see how I can take an active role at the school, be present, educate myself and share this story.


No comments:

Post a Comment